Even if you are an amateur photographer, you already know half of the requirements to start a blog. The content that you share with people is what will draw them in. The blog will be a key part of any new business, fandom or other resulting from the blog.
Photography skills and photos are not the only things you need for a photography blog. It is true that understanding how it affects the quality of your photos can help you create the best visual content. Creating a blog about photography has some steps that do not involve content. A website is essential for your blog. It won’t just appear. It will need to be created.
It doesn’t take too much effort to create a website if you make the right decisions. It can be done in just five easy steps. These are in the following order:
- Choose a memorable domain name.
- Find the right host for you.
- Install the blog using the easiest method.
- Pick a theme for your photoblog.
- You can customize the theme by installing it.
Let’s look at these steps to help you transform your website from a blank canvas to one filled with amazing photos. Are you ready to get started? Let’s go!
In 5 Easy Steps, a Photography Blog
Select the domain name
The domain name is what you see when you look at URLs. It’s the entire area between the subdomain (the “www”) and the top-level domain (the “.com”, the “.net” or the “.org” parts. This combination of words makes URLs memorable and unique, in addition to technical reasons.
It is also crucial for branding and SEO. Bloggers should also learn about. It would be best to think about the domain name for your photography blog. Keep in mind, however, that not all domain names are available. You can check the availability of domain names through web hosts, domain registrars, or regular websites.
When you’re thinking of a domain name for your photography blog, these are some things to consider.
- Less is often more. It is easier to remember, spell and share on mobile.
- Please keep it simple. Avoid using numbers, hyphens and wordplay.
- Make its logo. Ensure that the name selection makes sense.
- Pick a “.com” top-level domain. It is still the best choice to have a URL at the end.
Before we move on to the next step, a final word of advice: Have a few domain name options ready. You might consider buying all of them if they are affordable and saving them for later use. Domain names can also be purchased to resell later.
Choose a good host
Do you think it is difficult to choose a domain name? Wait until you begin learning about hosting. Hosting is not what will make or break your website.
Learn what you want from your web host. The most important decision you will make is what type of hosting you want. This usually means that you have to choose between:
- Shared Hosting: You share one server with other websites. This is the cheapest option, but it comes with the greatest storage, speed, and security limitations.
- Using a virtual private server (VPS), this type of hosting allows multiple virtual servers to be hosted on one server. It is more efficient than shared hosting.
- You can get dedicated server hosting for more than $100. This is a costly option that will require you to be an expert in systems management.
- Cloud Hosting is a type of hosting that looks like VPS hosting. It offers great scalability and has great support if your blog grows in popularity.
You’ll be able to find a few hosts who have monopolized the market if you do some digging. You’ll also find many people sharing their experiences with these hosts. There will be many pros and cons to each. You can also search service comparisons online and read professional reviews.
We can simplify this step to just one sentence with a smart selection of hosts. It’s as simple as choosing a WordPress hosting provider that offers one-click installation. Bluehost and Kinsta are good choices. This is all you need for a quick and easy website installation.
WordPress underpins a third of the web. It shouldn’t be that bad for your blog if it’s beneficial for companies like Disney, Facebook and Conde Nast. It was created to allow bloggers to create blogs. It still has it in its DNA (or code).
WordPress’s best feature is how easily you can extend the site’s functionality once it has been installed. Although there are a lot of WordPress plugins on the market, you can make any changes by simply choosing from the photography WordPress themes.
Choose the right theme for your website.
WordPress themes are a collection of stylesheets and templates that define the look of your website. It is a layer that you apply to WordPress to alter its appearance. However, themes can also add functionalities.
The good news? ThemeForest is the largest online marketplace for a theme. It offers thousands of themes. You are sure to find one that interests you. Unfortunately, it may take some time to find the right one. Relying solely on bestsellers may not be the best strategy.
Let’s not waste your time. These are some themes that can be used as a theme on a photography blog.
- Esben Designed for fashion photographers, this theme includes many gallery layouts and a pastel color scheme.
- Objektiv — This theme is great for photography blogs that let the photos speak for themselves.
- – This is the bestselling creative theme that you can use to fine-tune the appearance of your blog. It has an incredible number of options.
- Divi – This theme is more than just a theme. It also comes with a page creator that you can use to make your blog unique.
- Stockholm — A theme compatible with the most popular plugins. It is suitable for any purpose, even a photography blog.
These themes will give you an idea of the WordPress themes and what you can do. These themes are a good starting point to search for the right theme for your photography blog. Don’t be surprised to find one after hours of searching.
Install the theme
It’s easy to install a WordPress theme on your website. This is the best way to describe it. However, you can also use it to install premium themes.
Once you have logged in to your website, the “appearance” option will be displayed in the dashboard menu. When the menu opens, hover over it and click “themes”. These themes are free and can be viewed and downloaded from this window.
Click on the “upload theme button” to upload a premium theme that you have purchased and downloaded. Then, navigate to the zip file with your downloaded theme. After installing the theme, activate it. This is what you need to do to make the theme take effect. Once the theme is activated, you can modify it and add content.